Friday, November 01, 2013

Only Words



The ink that flows freely from a writer’s pen stalled that day. Every word seemed wrong and out of place and each one felt like a lead weight dragging down on my heart. The salutation was too formal but a familiar cheery greeting would have been inappropriate.

This letter had to be clear and concise. No pretty waffling decorating the page and clouding the issue. Slowly behind me the pile of screwed up balls of paper grew, each one evidential of my inability to communicate simple facts.

The silver fountain pen drank heavy on another intake of viscous black ink and I started the process again. Once again fighting the urge to give up my pen struggled to write.

Later my hand shook as I put the envelope in the red box outside the Post Office before I drifted home to the safety behind the closet door.

Job done!



© JG Farmer 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading, your comments are always welcome

Contact Me, I'd be delighted to hear from you

Name

Email *

Message *

Tir na nog

Al's Sunday Photo Fiction

Pagan Insights Project

Pagan Blog Project