Friday, September 13, 2013

Personal Scrutiny





I thought accepting my gender identity was a tough nut. It was, but not as tough as the scrutiny I feel I am under now. Everything I do, say and think is being microscopically analysed. Not by other people, but by myself. I keep checking myself – is what I am wearing male enough, is the book I am reading too feminine, is the level of my voice deep enough or is the way I walk too much of a girly wiggle rather than a manly strut?

I was expecting it from others and, as I am my own worst critic, a bit from myself – but not to this extent. It is not that I doubt what I am doing is right; I know this transition is right for me and I got to get on and face it. I have known my gender identity since I was a little kid and have buried it since then too. I know the major part of transition is self-acceptance and although I have been aware of it since I was a child I am only just coming to terms with my identity. I have got to be patient with myself.

Transsexuality or gender dysphoria is a lonely place. Yes there are support groups, yes I have wonderful supportive family and friends – and I really do appreciate all of them. However, they cannot make the decisions for me. Transition is self-realization and finding my own identity rather than the one I built to hide myself. Denying self has been the easier option and frankly still is but it is not the healthy one.

I suppose I am habitually applying that same inner critique that buried my male awareness to present as female to my identity now but in reverse. I look at the list of what may be to come and it looks terrifying but to go back is even more so and I do not want to go back so it is not an option anyway. Transition is very much cross each bridge as it is needed to be crossed and I know that is the only way that I can do it.





© J Farmer 2013

5 comments:

  1. Being conscious of what we are doing makes it all ok... it's when we are unconsciously judging, moaning and mind________ is when it gets us in trouble... I believe it's part of our journey of observation to where we are going.... Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Barbara

    I agree we need to be conscious of what we do, I am overly conscious of things I guess, and I think that is part of my transition really as I am becoming more aware of aspects of myself that perhaps I had sub-consciously squirreled away while in denial

    Jem

    ReplyDelete
  3. have patience bro, I can't experience exactly what you're going through, but we all learn from each other, and there are lots of different kinds of men. You'll find what suits you as the man that you are, it doesn't have to be like anybody else, but it will be like the forms and feeling in others that genuinely speak to you, because we all come home to ourselves eventually, and find that we are actually in company.

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, your comments are always welcome

Contact Me, I'd be delighted to hear from you

Name

Email *

Message *

Tir na nog

Al's Sunday Photo Fiction

Pagan Insights Project

Pagan Blog Project